Wednesday, November 3, 2010

We don't need no stinking words!

Or badges if you've been lucky enough to have watched the awesomeness that is Troop Beverly Hills. And if you haven't you are missing out on a true 80s gem that well leave you craving cookies.
Pushing all that aside, today I'd like to focus on an aspect of music that might not always be in the forefront. The instrumental. Lyrics can make or break a song so easily for me. Simply put, they are my favorite part of a song. I like having something to sing along to and since I'm a huge fan of over analyze every little thing, lyrics only add to my crazy! Lately I’ve found myself favoring instruments or as I like to call them: songs that are just too cool for words. By cool, I don’t mean the popular kids in your local high school cafeteria but cool as in relaxed, peaceful, that moment of the day right before the sun reacts the horizon and the world is lush and green with a thing layer of dew covering all the vegetation. That kind of cool.

Explosions in the Sky –“The Only Moment We Were Alone' and 'Your Hand in Mine' (the Friday Night Lights theme song)
There was once a wonderful football focused book called FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS that would go on to be reincarnated in not only a book but ONE OF THE BEST TV SHOWS OF ALL TIME! (its that good, seriously) The movie soundtrack set the tone for the tv show's soundtrack and all that would not be possible without this groovy instrumental rock band from Texas. Every track breaks your heart a little with each listen. Its the music I want playing softly in the background of all my most emotional and passionate moments. There's almost a small town on the plains, I'm about to break out of and take over the world vibe. Its all just so inspiring. Listen to either of these song and tell my you don't feel something nagging at you butt.


Pretty Lights - “Finally Moving”
Pretty Lights is much more synthetic than the last group. There's more hip hop style beats and the majority of the “Finally Moving” was composed on a computer. (I'm guessing) Doesn't have the same organic, heartbreaking, bleeding my sole out through my guitar vibe. This song is has more some a joint and dance around your friends basement and of couse there's someone who's brought their glow sticks with them. I like to listen to Pretty Lights riding the subway underneath Manhattan. This song and the random mix of people you'll find on the train just goes together so well.
*yes there are words, but they don't count.

Hammock - “I Can Almost See You”
Iceland. That's what comes to mind when this track starts. Or is it Greenland? Which ever one is the coldest. I picture myself walking across some barren arctic landscape, it's cold but something amazing is just a couple more steps. There might be a baby polar bear off into the distance. Not sure what's waiting just over the horizon but the track makes me believe it must be ridiculously amazing. That's the reaction I get to this track. Anything that can cause such a vivid daydream gets an A+ in my book.



No comments:

Post a Comment